Visit us on facebook

Visitors

Historical Village, Museum
and Nature Trail

The complex is conveniently located near downtown Mount Vernon, IL

The Museum and the Village with its buildings and their contents, reflect life in Jefferson County from the mid 19th century to more recent years. Among the furnished buildings one finds homes of the 19th century, a one-room school, a log church and log jail, operating blacksmith and print shops, merchandise in the general store and a variety of medical equipment from a foot-treadle dentist's drill to a Civil War amputation kit in the Medical Building.

The Museum currently houses exhibits of the history of cameras, clocks, musical instruments, and quilts. Bridal dresses are on display well as many other items.

 

Village

village view

The village contains both original buildings and restorations primarily from the late 1800’s through the early 1900’s. Among the buildings and exhibits are:

Schweinfurth Museum

museum building

The museum currently contains a variety of exhibits ranging from cameras and clocks to a display of bridal attire.

Nature Trail

nature trail

Two different trails are available. A nature trail winds though a wooded area beside a stream (when not in a drought). The trail ends at Old Union cemetery where there are graves of early settlers.

The second trail is through grassland. Timeline markers have been installed to provide a sense of perspective. It integrates local history into world events

Village Hours

Open from the first weekend in May through the last weekend in October.

Opening weekend May 4 & 5

Saturday 10am to 4pm  
Sunday 1pm to 4pm  

Admission is free. (Donations accepted)

A majority of the buildings are handicapped accessible

Guided weekday tours of the village are available. Tours must be scheduled in advance.

Jefferson County Historical Society is a non-profit organization. Donations are tax deductible.

Directions

map to the village

From Interstate 64/57 take exit 95; East on Illinois 15 (Broadway) to 27th street. Turn left (north) onto 27th. Cross Richview road. The village is on the west side of the road.

Grounds are available to rent for special occasions. Contact the village office.